Your trip to Munnar will be futile if you do not visit the waterfalls in Munnar. Since the forest and waterfalls present numerous sights and sounds for you, why don’t you take an effort to listen to them? There are a multitude of waterfalls in Munnar, each more stunning than the last including Lakkam Waterfalls and Attukad Waterfalls . When you plan to explore Munnar, choose the less explored destinations to seize the ultimate beauty of the location. Thoovanam waterfalls in Marayoor is a toursit spot in Munnar that is hidden, less-explored gem in the depths of the forests inside Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary. Amidst the dense forest situates this mesmerizing waterfall and the trail to the falls gives you an opportunity to decipher the enigma of the forest. The waterfall set beside the dense forest, surrounded by rich biodiversity is an awe-inspiring sight.
Thoovanam waterfalls is in Pambar River which is one of the three rivers in Kerala that flows eastwards whereas remaining flows towards west. Thoovanam waterfalls is located inside Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary, in the midst of the thick forest. The spectacular cascade that originates from the elevation of 1400 ft. is assured to cast a spell on every visitor. As you tread closer to the waterfalls, the cacophony of civilization recedes; you are welcomed with the melody of water jets crashing to the rocks. The sound and the sight ushers euphoria to the spectator’s mind. The waterfalls area cradles numerous varieties of rare, endangered flora and fauna; to ensure the safety of the biodiversity and to preserve them the waterfalls area is controlled and maintained by the Wildlife Department.
Nature-loving tourists will love the combination of the spectacular waterfall surrounded by forest and wildlife. From the distant itself, the beauty of the silvery cascade between the verdant greenery is revealed.
What do we love about Thoovanam Waterfalls?
- The scintillating Pambar River gives birth to the Thoovanam waterfalls. The river flowing with calm and ease till the slope crashes with a bang to the rocks below. The transition of the river is as stunning as the waterfalls.
- The waterfalls is a located within the Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary. If you visit the waterfalls, you can cross off two tourist spots from your itinerary.
- You can spot numerous species of rare birds and butterflies during the trek. The waterfalls and its premises are a hotspot of biodiversity.
- A trekking facility is arranged by the officials for adventure junkies and nature lovers. The trek takes you to the depths of the forest where you can explore the intense forest and experience the nature up close. Many wild animals and other interesting fauna are bound to come your way while trekking. You will be accompanied by experienced and skilled guides throughout the trek. The morning trek in the forest, when the rays of the rising sun percolate through the canopy while listening to the chirping of birds is an ethereal experience.
What to know about Thoovanam Waterfalls?
- The guided trek to the waterfalls will take 2-3 hours from the check post. Every day two treks are arranged by the tourism department; the 7AM-10AM trek and 3 PM to 6 PM trek.
- For trekking, the escort of a forest guide is mandatory. Guided trekking fee for Indians is 225 per person and for foreigners 600 per person.
- As the waterfalls is located in an inner area, a whole day is needed for the trip. So, when you plan a visit to the waterfalls, allot a whole day for it.
- An accommodation facility is arranged by the tourism department within the forest which includes basic amenities. Treehouses, Cottage at Vysappara, Government Guest House and camping facilities are also available for lodging near the destination. Advance booking is necessary for accommodation.
Best time to visit Thoovanam Waterfalls
Thoovanam waterfalls get a spellbinding charm during and after the monsoon season. The sight of silver water falling deep into the rocks is best during the monsoon because the monsoon rain gives more attractiveness to the waterfalls. Even the density of the greenery in the surrounding becomes stunning in the monsoon. Rainfall adds coldness to Thoovanam waterfalls so, when you visit during monsoon, you will be welcomed with a chilling experience. The distant view of the waterfalls cozying up in the green blanket of the jungle revitalizes your body and soul. You can feel the magic of nature healing your inner wounds with the lush greenery. One day spent here will be etched in your mind forever. The possibility of recreation and exaltation the jungle offers is immense; you can discover and experience it only by exploring the place.
Trekking opportunities are waiting for you to conquer the cliff rocks and opaque woodlands. Thoovanam trek begins from Alampatty forest station. Within an hour, you will reach the waterfalls. Trek tickets can be bought from the checkpoint and a guide is mandatory for the trek. You can hire a guide from the checkpoint. The advantage of spotting wild animals during trek is an extra benefit for your trip. On the way to the waterfalls, you may encounter elephants, gray langurs, and other wild animals. In addition, a variety of birds and different species of butterflies might greet you during the trek.
The waterfalls is situated in the inner forest so, in order to reach the destination, reach Marayoor to access to this area better. Thoovanam waterfalls is 60km away from Munnar Town and 18km from Marayoor. Bus services are available to Marayoor from Munnar Town. By air, the nearest airport is Cochin international airport which is 110 kilometers away. By rail, the nearest railway station is Ernakulam Jn (130km).
The attractions near Thoovanam Waterfalls include Marayoor Sandal forest, Marayoor, Anamudi , Eravikulam National Park, Devikulam and Mattupetty
Munnar in Idukki district of Kerala is always ready with a visual treat for its tourists. The dams, landscapes, plantations, waterfalls, and the long list of tourist spots are an amalgamation of nature’s creativity and architectural splendor. Nature enthusiasts from all the parts of the world visit Munnar to find exult in the gorgeousness of nature. Munnar is popular for its lush greenery and multiplicity of fauna. Rarely blooming Neelakurinji flowers and presence of Nilgiri Tahr and Mountain Goat makes Munnar the favorite destination of visitors. However any visit to Munnar is incomplete without a view of Thoovanam Waterfalls.