The enchanting waterfalls, sublime wildlife, stunning national parks, exalted dams, flower-laden grasslands, and scenic landscapes make Munnar the most brilliant ‘all-in-one’ tourist destination of Kerala. The lush green tea plantation and the bio diverse forests that encrust the place make it the perfect setting for a gateway. The wintriness of the hills and the blanket of mist proffer a comforting chill to your body and warmth to your soul.
There is more to Munnar than never-ending tea plantations and grasslands. The place is rife with all the wonders of nature. The valleys lined with exotic pine trees will make you experience the beauty of Eastern Europe, the babbling waterfalls are the doppelganger of majestic South American waterfalls and the viridescent grasslands will transcend you to the pastoral grasslands of Switzerland. In short you can experience the natural legacies of famous international destinations in one place.
When you travel to Munnar and within Munnar, many scenic waterfalls are bound to come your way and visiting waterfalls is one of the best things to do in Munnar. Lakkam waterfalls is a prominent aquatic wonderment in the long list of waterfalls in Munnar. The milky-stream that is pouring down from the hills near Marayoor is a feast for all your senses. Amidst a dense forest, this breathtaking cascade flows in the shades of verdant woodlands. Words or photographs can do no justice in depicting the gorgeousness of Lakkam waterfalls; one can only discern the charm of it in person.
The sight of the water jets crashing against the rocks is a sight to the sore eyes. The melody of the water caressing everything on its way down mixed with the mysterious murmuring sound that arises from the forest beyond gives you an auditory ecstasy. The destination is apt for tourists who want to spend a day in the lap of nature. The place surrounded by the Gulmohar trees is absolutely a visual treat for the visitors. During the spring, the waterfall area will be strewn with scarlet red flowers of the Gulmohar and then the place becomes more awe-inspiring.
The water falls from the rock cliff above 50 feet. The falling water has created a large puddle below; visitors can play in the small pool. The waterfall is a part of Eravikulam stream that originates from Eravikulam National Park. The place offers trekking opportunities as well to test your adventure spirit. When you reach the spot, you will be welcomed by a soul-soothing quietness that lingers over here.
Lakkam waterfalls is situated on Munnar-Udumalpet road. The destination is near to Marayoor. To reach Lakkam waterfalls by Air, the nearest airport is Cochin International Airport (110km) and Madurai International airport (140km). Nearest railway stations to Munnar are Aluva (110km), Ernakulam Jn (130km), and Madurai (135km).
By road, you can reach here easily from Munnar town. It takes only 1.5km from Marayoor to reach Lakkam waterfall. Take a cab from Munnar town to reach here easily.
What we love about Lakkam Waterfalls?
- The ‘Vaga trees’ that surround the waterfall is a captivating sight for the visitors. You can sit back and admire the beauty of the fall, or you can indulge in adventurous activities, the place has something to offer to all kinds of visitors.
- You can take a dip into the crystal clear natural swimming pool under the waterfall, or you can just sit idle twiddling your foot into the water.
- Strolling through the Lakkam forest will be an exciting experience for you. The pristine beauty of the forest can be witnessed and you will enjoy nature embraced trip.
- Trekking facilities are offered for tourists who are adventure lovers. Take out your adventure spirit for exploring the thick forest.
- Visit the hut nearby the waterfall to get delicious Kerala food including rice, sambar, and fish.
What to know about Lakkam Waterfalls?
- It is mandatory for the visitors to get permission from the Wildlife Division of Munnar before you plan to visit Lakkam waterfalls. You have to pay the entrance fee (Rs.10) to get an entry to the waterfall premises.
- Visiting time at the Lakkam Waterfalls is 8 AM to 5 PM.
- When you step into the rocks, be careful as the rocks are slippery. If you want to go for trekking, seek permission from the forest office and avoid monsoon season for trekking.
- The restroom is available for the visitors. Take a pair of a dress if you wish to take a dip in the water. The changing room is provided for changing clothes.
- Mobile network will be sketchy in the area.
Best time to visit Lakkam waterfalls
Lakkam waterfalls remain dry most of the time and it is better to visit the place during or after the monsoon. October-January constitutes the post-monsoon season and this is the best time to visit Lakkam waterfall. During this time, the waterfall will have good flow and the destination becomes the paradise of photography. Avoid summer season to visit the waterfall as the waterfall can be scanty that time.
The amazing Lakkam waterfalls is visited by a lot of local and foreign people to enjoy the nature’s creativity. The spectacular sight of the waterfall surrounded by opaque forest is a mesmerizing and visitor who worships the beauty of nature will have the experience of a lifetime. The destination is best for a getaway from the monotony of life. Breathe some fresh air, release your ears from the clamor of the city, and fill your eyes with the color of life.
God has crafted each spot in Munnar with an abundance of brilliance, every nook and cranny of this place is showered with the bounties of nature. You can point your camera to any corner and a wallpaper-worthy image is assured to be captured. A walk down the plantations of Munnar during the sunrise; strutting down the dew-kissed valleys, soaking the countless rays of sun warming the place and embracing the invigorating cold breezes is an ethereal experience. The activities and attractions in Munnar can cater to all kinds of travelers, a lone-traveler or a group, a single day visit or a short sojourn, a nature lover or an adventure enthusiast.