Kannan Devan Tea Museum
If you love tea and want to understand more about tea then Kannan Devan Tea Museum that is just five minutes drive from the Munnar town is a must visit. You can easily hire any taxis or other vehicle for this. The tea museum is exactly located in KDHP’s Nullatanni Estate.
The tea plantation system in this area is a century old. This museum will give an overview of the beautiful history of the tea plantation. It captures all the processes that include the modernization of tea making and even its finest detail. It also describes that how tea-making process has evolved in the recent years from a very old technique to a new and modified process. Kannan Devan Tea Museum is one of the best things to do in Munnar.
What Do We Love about Kannan Devan Tea Museum
- A Granite Block made in 1913 by Art Industrial School, Tamil Nadu greets people out here at the entrance of the museum.
- One of the most important things put on display at this museum are the original tea roller, the Rotorvane and the Pelton Wheel.
- Both the rollers used were an important part of tea making in the old days before automation.
- Old furniture, typewriters, wooden bathtub, magneto phone, iron oven, manual calculators and EPABX of the1909 telephone system are the other unique antique materials that are put on display in this museum.
How to reach Kannan Devan Tea Museum
There are two means of transportation to reach to the Kannan Devan tea museum.
- The first one is from the Aluva railway station which is about 112 km away from the museum.
- The second one is the Cochin International Airport which is about 75 km away from the museum and which is the nearest airport to Munnar.
The Kannan Devan Tea Museum is set up by the Tata Tea Company which is a famous and reputed tea making company. This makes it even more exciting to pay a visit to Kannan Devan Tea museum, which is one of its kind museum in the Munnar.
Kannan Devan Tea Museum Timings for Visit
This museum may not excite you from the first glance, but the range of materials displayed in the museum would stun you and will provide you with an amazing overview of rich history of Tea in this region. You can visit this epic museum from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm every day . This museum is not working on Monday. The museum also remains closed on the occasion of Good Friday and other national holidays.
Kannan Devan Tea Museum Entry Fee
There are different charges for entry fees for different age groups.
- You would have to pay 75 Rs. for adults.
- An amount of Rs. 35 is required for children.
- You would have to pay Rs. 20 extra to carry the camera along with you.
Best Time to Visit
Keeping in mind the weather conditions of Kerala and specifically best time to visit Munnar then there are two months in which you would find it best to visit this tea museum. In the month of August and May you can visit the tea museum. As it is the time when the weather remains to be the most pleasant one than the rest of the year, many tourists prefer to visit this museum during these months.
If you have visited Munnar , have you been to Kannan Devan Tea Museum, let us know how was your experience through the comments